Sunday, February 04, 2007

Need for Rebellion

Why do we feel the need to rebel? Why does a few kids who hop on stage at a concert wind up making the news? Why are we so concerned with the rules and whether or not we agree?

One of the easiest ways to identify who we are is to identify who we are not. So, we do not agree that some of the issues that are considered major by some people are not considered major by others. How do we identify ourselves? Stand up and say - "That is not me. I may not know much more; but that is not me."

Why do we find ourselves focusing on the rules? Often times our boundaries serve as a definition. Rather than look out and see the possibilities that exist inside our life situation, it is much easier to see the limitations set up by the boundaries. We all have limits that proscribe our life. After a while, you realize that the limitations are not nearly as important as the opportunities that are created by those boundaries.

Yes, the ring on my finger limits the relationships that I have with women in my life. I can spend my life concerned with how this limits my "freedom". Or I can see that this circlet of gold frees me to give my heart and soul to a beautiful, passionate, intelligent, capable woman who, for some unknown reason, sees value in this poor man from the hills of Kentucky. She could have married anyone - men richer, smarter, more handsome or more whatever - but she chose me. My choice seems obvious to me. The boundary does not limt my life, but opens my life up to joy, beauty, and experiences I never knew existed.

Love you Shar - but only on days that end in "y".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think there are ever boundaries that need to be extended? Should the rules ever be tested and pushed against?

I agree with your assertion about working within boundaries to find freedom. It's like the artist who imposes certain boundaries upon his writing or her music in order to remove some of the extra information he or she would have to worry about otherwise. There can be a lot of freedom found when rules are enforced.

Pick said...

Of course rules should be tested. Even Paul advises Timothy to test every spirit to make sure that it is not an spirit of deception. If we are even to test the spirit, not out of arrogance but of a need for verification, why not test rules. Once again, not out of arrogance, but out of ensuring that the rules are indeed appropriate.

M said...

precious and true.